BidVertiser

Thursday, May 20, 2010

What is normal anyway?

Today was not unlike any other days I have had in recent past, with the exception of having someone who lives close to me tell me that they are so "happy" that their children are normal. Being the person that I am and not being able to bite my tongue, I asked her so what is normal, and what makes a child normal? Of course, I never got an answer and yes it got me to thinking about what it means to be normal.

My normal is very different from many people's normal, but just because it is different from everyone others does it make it wrong or not normal? I do not think it does, yes my children are special, yes they are wonderful and no my life is not like that of yours nor is yours like mine or like that of others. Normal is different from everyone, that does not make it bad, that does not make me and my husband bad parents. I do things differently than most, but I do what works for my family, for my children, that does not make it right for everyone else.

You see that is the thing about children on the spectrum, there are no two alike, they have different stims, triggers and things that set them off, so what works for one family may not work for another. We are all doing the best we can, instead of judging us, educate yourself, ask us what you can do to help, we would rather the questions than the judgment.

1 comment:

  1. You are doing a terrific job and the last thing you need is such awful comment thrown your way.
    I hope you don't have to deal with that person again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Please feel free to ask questions, add advise or just make observations. I appreciate all comments.

Site Visitors